- Make sure the opening at the bottom of the spreader is closed.
- Set the spreading rate on the spreader to the setting indicated on the back of the lawn product you are applying.
- Fill the spreader on a driveway or walkway — not on the lawn, in case some of the product spills. Sweep up any spills; don't wash them into the sewer.
- Begin spreading, using the guidelines that follow.
- Walk at a steady pace — neither slow nor rushed — for evendistribution.
Rectangular lawn: Start by making two header strips at each end of the lawn. This provides an area for turning the spreader on and off.
Go back and forth between the ends, shutting the spreader off when you reach the header strips. When starting back, put the spreader in motion before opening it in the header strip area.
- If using a drop spreader, make sure the wheels overlap the wheel marks in the grass from the previous swath to prevent missed strips.
- If using a rotary spreader, be sure to overlap the edge of each swath with the edge of the previous swath to prevent missed streaks.
Irregularly shaped lawn: Go back and forth along the longest direction, shutting the spreader off when you reach the header strip.
Copyright 2008 The Scotts Company, LLC. All Rights Reserved